Friday, March 21, 2008

Cambodian Arrival




Greetings from Phnom Penh. I'm writing this e-mail at 2 AM because my clock is way off right now. We left from S.F. on Wednesday night and arrived in Cambodia on Friday at noon. Cambodia is 14 hours ahead, and after 17 hours on flights, and a 3 hour layover in Taipei we finally arrived. Thank God they had a Starbucks in the airport in Taipei. The kids did really well on the flight, and had the chance to go swimming and ride an elephant yesterday. It was fun, and a huge culture shock!!! The kids are sorting through seeing other kids their age who live in utter poverty. They saw on the street kids their age with deformed arms, a tumor the size of a football (No Exaggeration), and kids trying to make a buck to stay in school. All of this in midst of seeing government and business leaders driving around the city in Hummers, Lexus', and Range Rovers. The gap between the rich and the poor is growing here in Cambodia. One of my goals on this trip is for the kids to have their worldview changed into a Kingdom worldview. I guess I better get some sleep :)

5 comments:

Melissa said...

What an amazing experience! You guys have a safe trip, OK?

Melissa said...

Hey, I just found out they are doing elephant rides at Marine World. Think of all the time and money you could have saved if you had only known about this a couple weeks ago. ~Glenn ;-)

Amy said...

Okay, I am cracking up at Glenn's comment! Seriously though...it looks like you guys are having lots of fun. And Phil, I'm glad you aren't too far away from your Starbucks. I know you get grumpy without it. ;)

This is truly an experience of a lifetime for your kids. Not many kids get to do this! We are hoping to take all of our kids to Africa when they get old enough.

benology said...

What an amazing journey. Thanks for giving us updates. Stay safe.

Mama Mia! said...

I was hoping you posted about your trip! I've been thinking about Cambodia so much lately! I bet it rocked their worlds! How fun to go as a family!